Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Chupacabra in Kentucky???

Normally, I do not get too excited about the local news. Normally, it is just stories that will either make you angry, or depressed. Today however, had a different effect.

Thanks to a couple friends, I was tipped off to this story. Seems like a man in Kentucky has shot and killed what he believes to be a Chupacabra. Since I have not done an official write up on the "Goat Sucker", here is a quick run down.

The Chupacabra has been in popular culture since around 1995. Historically, they are normally spotted in Mexico, South and Southwestern United States, and Puerto Rico. The name Chupacabra comes from the Spanish language, meaning chupar "to suck" and cabra "goat." Basically, this animal bites its prey, leaving only a couple puncture wounds, and draining all of the blood out of the animal. Lots of sightings have been reported, but mostly they end up being coyotes with a bad case of mange.

That brings us to the new case. When I first read about this animal, the first thing that I did was look up where it was located. From where I am located, the area is only around two and a half hours away, so I started to plan my trip. After doing a little more digging, I decided that a trip would not be necessary. Lots of photos of the creature have been taken, and to me it appears that it is just a fox or small coyote with a case of mange. It does not appear to be anything out of the ordinary. Early next week, a biologist from the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife department will be examining the animal, so I am sure this will be determined to not be a Chupacabra. It is a shame, but at the same time, it is great that something like this breaks up the monotony of the nightly news, and brings creatures like this into the public eye.

Hopefully in the near future, we can find a true specimen of one of these amazing animals. Never stop searching, never stop believing.

Fox News
WLWT

No comments:

Post a Comment